Ginger Beer (Old-Fashioned)
Recipe By Ian Rice
- 1/2 Ounce Yeast
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 7 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 7 Teaspoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 Pounds Sugar
- Juice Of 2 Lemons
- Mix starter ingredients with ¾ pint of warm water in a glass jar. Stir, cover and leave in a warm place for 24 hours. This is your starter “plant”.
- Feed the “plant” with 1 teaspoon each of ground ginger and sugar each day.
- After 7 days strain through a fine sieve. Dissolve the sugar in 2 pints of water. Add the lemon juice and the liquid from the “plant”. Dilute with 5 pints of water, mix well and store in corked bottles for at least 7 days. Use strong bottles as pressure may build up which will cause thin bottles to explode. For the same reason use corked bottles rather than those with a more secure closure that will not ‘give’ under pressure.
- The amount of sugar in the final stage can be varied according to taste.
- Please excuse the use of Imperial measures – I am only a poor ignorant pom.